Thursday, April 26, 2007

Journal of a Living Lady #297

Nancy White Kelly


Poor Midget! She came of age this month to have that little operation. We knew that when we bought her. In fact, the breeder would not even consider selling her unless we signed papers that we would have her spayed. Don’t know how legally binding that contract was, but we honor our word. Besides, the senior Kelly family doesn’t need a litter of tiny Chihuahuas. For that matter, neither does the junior Kelly family. They also have a Chihuahua, as well as two-year-old Micah, and that precious newborn, Noah.

We have always been satisfied with our veterinarians. Our primary residential vet was booked up for over three weeks. The second one we called didn’t bother to return our call. I couldn’t remember the traveling vet’s name though I used him once before and liked him. I called a newer vet in the area. I had been to that office once before when we had a tape worm scare with Midget. Turned out to be false alarm. The breeder graciously warned us two weeks after the adoption that another pup in the litter had them.

The receptionist told me the price for neutering was $97 and, almost as an afterthought, said, “That includes anesthesia.” My mind reflected on the oddity of that statement, but I said nothing. Who would ever consider an operation without anesthesia? Sedation was just understood.

On the morning of the surgery, I arrived at 7:30 a.m. with Midget in tow. She had no idea what was ahead. Neither did I. The receptionist asked if I wanted a battery of blood tests for $72.60. I said no. Did I want an x-ray for $57.50? Again I said no. EKG, $47? No.

This was getting ridiculous. But the real kicker was when she asked me if I wanted Midget to have a pain shot after the surgery? Well, of course. Then that would be an “extra $18.00.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Was this an option or extortion? It wasn’t so much the money as it was the principle of it. How absurd to put a pet owner in that position. Pay or your puppy suffers unnecessary pain. I gave in and agreed, but not before letting my position be known.

That afternoon I picked up Midget. Was she ever glad to see me. I paid the bill, including $5.20 for clipping the nails while asleep.

Other than getting her stitches out, I seriously doubt that this vet will ever get another dollar out of us. I don’t begrudge the man making an honest living. I just begrudge what I perceive as the gouging of the unexpecting.

nancyk@windstream.net

3 comments:

Bob Cleveland said...

Nancy: I'm just glad she was a little girl-dog. Guys don't like to hear about the sort of operation little boy-dogs have to have.

Nancy White Kelly said...

You guys are such sissies. Be glad God didn't require men to have babies.

Midget has recuperated and all is well.

Bob Cleveland said...

Actually, I prefer the term "wuss".

Glad Midget is well. Hope you are getting on well, too.